Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Grace and Whimsy


Artist Sheilah Beckett


I first encountered this artist in a Little Golden Book, The Twelve Days of Christmas, which I saw in the checkout line at the grocery store and insisted that my mother buy me.  I was enchanted by the details and elegance of the clothing, the ebbing hair, and the delicate hands and features.

When I googled her, I was delighted (to say the least) to see her fairy tale illustrations.

Each story has a slightly different style, which, I think, shows her flexibility as an artist.

Twelve Dancing Princesses

from Sleeping Beauty


Snow White and Rose Red


Titania and Oberon
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Hansel and Gretel

Oh, wondrous internet, opening new worlds to me!  (And yet more and more ways for me to spend money I don't have.)

For more of my favorite childhood fairy tale artists, click the link.


And don't forget to tell your friends about our fairy tale writing contest.  I hope that even if you aren't a contest-type person that you will come back for the writing prompt exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Leave a comment!