Sunday, August 26, 2012

Three Orders of Business

I.  Following up with the Fairy Tale Prompt Contest:


Both Masha's and Rebecca T.'s entries were superb in voice, style, theme, craft, and execution--like Snow White and Rose Red, strikingly different, but equally beautiful.  So, in the end, I drew a  scrap of paper out of a tea cup.

Masha, congratulations!  You're the winner!

The winner at random (also drawn out of a tea cup) is Matthew T.  Congratulations, Matthew!

Winners, please e-mail me your mailing address so that I can mail you your gift card.

Thank you all again for entering.  If I had the resources, everyone who participated would receive a gift card.  

I can't emphasize enough how much I enjoyed reading the entries; individuals' unique imagination at work; and the ability for an image to plant a seed and grow a beanstalk--or a ladder--into another realm.

If you haven't yet, please take the time to read and offer encouragement and advice for the stories.


II.  A writing and sharing exercise?  Like in high school?


I really wanted this to be a sharing exercise for the writing and fairy tale communities.  My desire in the future is to regularly host a prompt writing exercise, and this contest was a good trial run.

fairy tale promptFourth Fridays Fairy Tale Prompt is still in the planning stages, including the name, but one of the decisions I've come to is not to limit the writing to fantastical subjects.  Though I still plan to use images and phrases derived from fairy tales and other surreal themes.
Muses don't cooperate well on short leashes, or so I hear.

Another wrinkle to iron out is how often to hold the exercise.  Writing stories usually takes a longer time than writing poems, and then people get busy.  

Also, I will highly encourage reading each others' contributions in order to appreciate, encourage, and offer constructive criticism (if desired).

So, if you have a minute (or even if you don't, it's really easy), scroll down to the very bottom of the blog and vote in the poll.


III.  Now, I want to hear about what you want to see more of on Spinning Straw into Gold.


Do you enjoy artist spotlights or know of anyone in particular, storyteller or otherwise, who is an amateur and deserves a shout-out?  

Would you like to see more exegesis of the classic fairy tales, or more thoughts and sharing on the creative processes?  

Guest posts?  

Book reviews?

Let me know in the comments box below, and thank you.

fleur2

6 comments:

  1. Yep. Matthew has won every random-drawing contest he's ever entered (I'm serious), so no surprise. He was very excited when I told him about this, and he was attempting to email you. Let me know if he did not succeed.

    I enjoyed reading everyone's entries! I'm not sure how people can send me feedback...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I did get his e-mail. c:

      Well, it's up to you if you want feedback, etc., but you could share your e-mail address if you felt comfortable enough.

      I feel very strongly about supporting fledgling writers because it can be very intimidating for those of us trying to "break out" into the genre.

      I hope you'll consider sending yours out for publication. I don't know off the top of my head a venue that appreciates this kind of work (for some reason, all the online ones I look at are very narrow about the kind of style they want), but if you go to any bookstore or even library and thumb through a copy of the 2012 Writer's Market, you'll walk away with at least ten ideas of where you can submit for publication.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! Wow! I'm so thrilled!!!

    The idea of a continuing writing 'workshop' is also thrilling! I need the structure, for certain.

    What would I like to see more of:
    Your poems, I Love them
    exegesis of fairy tales would be fantastic - and not only fairy tales proper, but folk tales and living myth..or maybe I'm just trying to make you write what I want to write ;)
    Creative process posts are lovely,
    ..I don't think I'm being helpful, just repeating what you wrote, maybe something on the fantastical imagination - how a love of and sort of relationship to fairy tales impacts the imagination and life in general..Is that relevent to this blog? :)
    Thanks again! I'll get you my address!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masha, you're a wealth of ideas! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. If you're EVER interested in writing a blog post for SSiG, do not hesitate to let me know. I've already got Jenna roped into writing one on Harry Potter. c;

      Delete
  4. Oh good!! I LOVE reading about Harry Potter, if not so much the books themselves, and I really love her whole treatment of the books..I'd love to write as well, but you'd have to assign the topic :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Leave a comment!